Date(s) - 04/07/2018
9:30 am - 2:30 pm
Agents for Change: Outside the Box will be an interactive day of educational workshops, run by EqualiTeach, bringing together pupils of all genders from 15 schools to learn about gender stereotypes and sexism, and action plan ways in which they can become ‘Agents for Change’ working to reduce sexism and promote gender equality in their schools.
This event is free of charge, supported by a grant from the Improving Gender Balance team at the Institute of Physics: iop.org/genderbalance
When: Wednesday 4th July 2018 9.30am – 2.30pm
Where: Missenden Abbey Conference Centre, London Road, Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, HP16 0BD
Who: Secondary Students (Years 8-10) from schools in Buckinghamshire
During the day the young people will:
- Understand the impact of gender inequality and sexism on young people
- Consider what the words sex, gender and gender identity mean
- Explore how gender stereotypes affect everyone
- Look at the fight for gender equality over the last 150 years and what it has taken to effect change
- Explore experiences of sexism and how these can be challenged effectively
- Consider the issues in their individual schools
- Work with their teachers as ‘Agents for Change’ creating action plans to promote gender equality and tackle sexism back in their schools.
- Six students will be selected by the school, and one teacher, to take part.
- The school should be open to new ideas and strategies that the Agents for Change will bring back, and the chosen teacher should lead on supporting the students to implement their ideas.
- Students will be required to bring their own lunch on the day. Teachers will be catered for.
If you would like your school to take part, or would like further information about this project, contact:
Rachel Elgy, Programme Manager, 01480 470660, email@example.com